1) Please describe the more common symptoms, as well as some of the less common and less known symptoms of Dry Eye.
Red, itchy or watery eyes
Irritarton. Post nasal drip
Blurred vision caused by the above
2) Is there anything unique about allergies that affect the eyes or are they the same as general allergies?
When the eyes are irritated, it can cause many systemic problems as a cascade of symptoms begin to happen. Productivity, mood and energy all suffer.
3) What causes Eye Allergies?
There are many causes, but the underlying common denominator is that some irritant is causing a cascade of reactions, leading to what we commonly call an allergic reaction.
4) Is it true that there are certain times of the year that are worse, or is the whole year a problem?
Seasonal allergies are worse in the appropriate season. However many airborne allergens are present year round and have no "season" associated with them
5) What type of treatment options are available for patients that come in to see their optometrist with eye allergy symptoms?
according to the allergy and the severity of the symptoms. It may be as simple as cold compresses to various prescription eye drops or oral agents.
6) Are there treatments for eye allergies that offer permanent relief, or only temporary?
There are treatments that offer permanent relief, but you would need to contact your eye doctor to evaluate your situation & what it needs.
7) Is it possible to wear contact lenses without causing additional discomfort?
Most definitely. We need to evaluate the issue for the proper treatment, and prescribe the proper treatment AND the proper contact lens
. It is a multifaceted solution.
8) Can you provide general recommendations that may help people suffering from Eye Allergies?
The best recommendation is to have a thorough and complete eye examination
. Make sure to tell your eye doctor any and all symptoms that you may have, including when you have them and how severe or minor they may be.